Rock & Rap Confidential provides a great review of the acclaimed album, This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark.
This One’s For Him (A Tribute to Guy Clark) (Icehouse Music)–Ray Wylie Hubbard coaxes all the fun anyone could want out of “Homegrown Tomatoes” and Willie Nelson’s version of “Desperadoes Waiting for A Train” illuminates it as a quintessential American portrait. Steve Earle’s “The Last Gunfighter Ballad” and Kris Kristofferson’s “Hemingway’s Whiskey” deliver notable gut punches, and Patty Griffin’s “The Cape” takes easy flight and dances there. Shawn Camp’s “Homeless” marries a very contemporary country sound to an urgent plea for compassion.
December 6, 2012
This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark was nominated for a GRAMMY last night in the Best Folk Album category. Awards will be handed out at the 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on February 10, 2013.
This One’s For Him: A Tribute To Guy Clark was lovingly produced by GRAMMY-winning producer Tamara Saviano (Beautiful Dreamer: The Songs of Stephen Foster)—who is also working with Clark on his definitive biography—and frequent Clark co-writer Shawn Camp (“Sis Draper,” “Magnolia Wind”).
The collection was released by Houston’s Icehouse Music in December, 2011. It includes 30 tracks by 33 artists who are friends and colleagues of Clark or who have been influenced by his remarkable compositions. The collection was mixed and mastered by Fred Remmert. Core band members include Camp, Verlon Thompson, Jen Gunderman, Lloyd Maines, Glenn Fukunaga, Mike Bub, Larry Atamanuik, and Kenny Malone.
Double CD set includes recordings by Rodney Crowell, Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely, Shawn Colvin, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Emmylou Harris & John Prine, Patty Griffin, Ron Sexsmith, Rosanne Cash, Steve Earle, Vince Gill, Jerry Jeff Walker, Robert Earl Keen, and more. Produced by Tamara Saviano and Shawn Camp
1. That Old Time Feeling – Rodney Crowell
2. Anyhow I Love You – Lyle Lovett
3. All He Wants Is You – Shawn Colvin
4. Homeless – Shawn Camp
5. Broken Hearted People – Ron Sexsmith
6. Better Days – Rosanne Cash
7. Desperadoes Waiting For A Train – Willie Nelson
8. Baby Took A Limo To Memphis – Rosie Flores
9. Magdalene – Kevin Welch
10. Instant Coffee Blues – Suzy Bogguss
11. Homegrown Tomatoes – Ray Wylie Hubbard
12. Let Him Roll – John Townes Van Zandt II
13. The Guitar – Ramblin’ Jack Elliott
14. Cold Dog Soup – James McMurtry
15. Worry B Gone – Hayes Carll
1. Dublin Blues – Joe Ely
2. Magnolia Wind – Emmylou Harris & John Prine
3. The Last Gunfighter Ballad – Steve Earle
4. All Through Throwing Good Love After Bad – Verlon Thompson
5. The Dark – Terri Hendrix
6. LA Freeway – Radney Foster
7. The Cape – Patty Griffin
8. Hemingway’s Whiskey – Kris Kristofferson
9. Texas Cookin’ – Gary Nicholson, Darrell Scott & Tim O’Brien
10. Stuff That Works – Jack Ingram
11. Randall Knife – Vince Gill
12. Texas 1947 – Robert Earl Keen
13. Old Friends – Terry Allen
14. She Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere – The Trishas
15. My Favorite Picture of You – Jerry Jeff Walker
Part of the proceeds benefit the Center for Texas Music History at Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas.